F&B Manager/Chef De Cuisine – La Despensa Hollywood
Salary Range: Starting at $70,000 DOE + Commission
Reports to: General Manager, Second Home Hollywood
Direct Reports: FOH & BOH Staff
About Second Home and La Despensa
Second Home is a certified B-Corp with a mission to support creativity, entrepreneurship and social change in cities around the world.
We have six critically acclaimed locations in London, Lisbon and Los Angeles and we have raised over $75 million from some of the world’s leading investors to help us scale our work around the world.
We use innovative biophilic design to transform spaces in the most sustainable way imaginable – creating magical workspaces, cultural venues, restaurants and bookshops that help spark new collaborations and breakthroughs. Our cultural program has featured speakers such as Black Lives Matter founder Patrisse Cullors, Mayor of LA Eric Garcetti and filmmaker David Lynch.
La Despensa serves as the “town square” in each of our locations. A place for members to connect, to host clients and hold meetings. It is a place where our members come for nourishment, a break in their busy day and fuel for their next important task. La Despensa acts as the beating heart of the campus and supports the Second Home mission of supporting creativity and entrepreneurship around the world.
F&B MANAGER/CHEF DE CUISINE – Job Description
As the restaurant for Second Home, La Despensa should exemplify our commitment to biodiversity and social impact by selecting vendors and farmers who support the health of our planet and by hiring and treating employees equitably and with respect. This role offers a fantastic opportunity to make a real impact on the business as we expand.
The F&B Manager/Chef De Cuisine is responsible for the successful management of the La Despensa Restaurant. They are the commander of F+B Operations including but not limited to FOH, BOH, & Event Catering. They manage the preparation and production of meals and direct oversight and management of kitchen staff.
What you’ll be doing:
A Profitable Operation
- Hold ultimate ownership for the P&L and operating within a set budget
- Oversee all cash handling and ensuring proper procedures are upheld
- Maintain labor percentages in accordance with the budget
- Meet budgeted margins for all COGs on a monthly basis
- Manage ordering by Leads and Kitchen Manager (KM) and ensure weekly inventory is taken both back and front of house
- Work closely with the accounting to ensure accurate reporting and timely vendor payments
- Highlight any major opportunities or risks so the business can respond as necessary
- Hiring, training, supervising and growing teams
- Lead by example for all team members by adhering to and enforcing policies
- Ensure all staff are appropriately trained, setup for success and up to date with current procedures
- Understand and follow all labor laws and break guidelines
- Partner with GM of Second home to create and train a serviceable beverage program
- Monitor, evaluate, and audit beverage service offerings
- Keep the menu updated and seasonal in partnership with Kitchen Manager and Barista Lead(s)
- Ensure menu is designed with cost control in mind
- Liaise with the Second Home Event Manager/Director to plan and produce BEOs for all private and in-house events
- Partner with Events Manager/Director to appropriately staff and manage the F&B related service of onsite events
- Work closely with F&B Team to provide repeatable, high quality and cost effective event menus
- Develop unique and cuisine appropriate recipes, plans menus, and selects plate presentations
- Collaborates with the GM of Second Home to set menu item prices
- Monitoring inventory and purchasing supplies and food from approved vendors
- Assisting and directing kitchen staff in meal preparation, creation, plating and delivery
- Identifying and introducing new culinary techniques
- Preparing meals and completing prep support as needed
- Ensures prompt, fresh and quality food
Health and Safety
- Track emerging trends in the restaurant industry in order to keep the offering current and relevant.
- Engage with customers to receive feedback and create authentic relationships with regulars and first timers
- Ensure all processes for restaurant management are in place and executed on daily basis
- Ensure restaurant is always up to code with State & Federal regulatory bodies
- All maintenance issues reported and handled in timely manner
- Promotes and enforces safe work practices, maintaining safety standards and procedures in the restaurant and filing appropriate reports for any incidents that occur.
Who you are:
- 3+ years of restaurant experience as Chef and manager.
- You have a passion for great food and a solid understanding of beverage programs
- You have a strong passion for the art of hospitality and love to host the party
- You consistently maintain a positive attitude
- You have an extremely high standard when it comes to quality in food, procedures, and holding all others and yourself accountable.
- You work well under pressure and can handle stressful situations during busy periods.
- You have strong organizational skills.
- You take direction and feedback well. You learn from mistakes and react and respond quickly to issues.
Bonus if you have…
- ServSafe Manager Certified
- Medical, Dental and Vision Plans with employer contribution
- Generous Paid Vacation allowance
- World class office environment with Covid safety precautions and infrastructure in place
- Free Calm meditation app subscription
- Free parking
Second Home provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, or any protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Second Home complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.